We are in for some very cold weather and snow is even predicted for Thursday.
This is a pretty picture of Tahoe though with snow.
Ugh!! I do not like cold weather. It was 41 degrees this morning walking but with a jacket( I have a North Face polar fleece I bought like 8 years ago), it was comfortable. But when it gets to 29 degrees like it is predicted, then that is cold.
So today is a gym day and then some light chores. The zone is the bedroom this week and closet, so I’ll work on the pantry/closet again. It’s just always a work in progress. Our bedroom only has a bed and Heywood dresser, so it’s pretty easy to just tidy and dust and wash the windows.
I downloaded a fun ebook by the author of ‘Decluttering at the speed of Life’
This one was her first one ” How to manage your home without losing your mind’
She is really hysterical to read and I gleaned a few good ideas.
Tomorrow I get my 6-week labs so we shall see. It’s sorta like Russian Roulette. Will they still be normal or will it have changed? Who knows , right??
Tonight I’m making another Skillet recipe from Cook’s Illustrated ‘The Best Skillet Recipes’. I’m making skillet lasagna.
Our weather continues to be quite cold. It’s sunny but once you step outside the wind is really cold. It looks like this all week. It makes it hard to go outside and do anything.
I had a good gym workout although my ankle is still bothering me some so i only did 15 minutes on the treadmill. I may go tomorrow and just do some weights.
Then I had some catch-up chores to do in town. The store, bank, another store and then home. I still need to hit Home Depot for a few misc. like a weird little bulb for a light.
We came home to house very tidy and the bathroom zone is done, so there’s not much in the cleaning dept but I will vacuum and dust tomorrow. Plus I need to get a few pots to repot some of my plant friends. Most are doing great where they are but one spider plant is trying to regroup in a new spot. Some plants are in good places now but come summer the sun comes into the house differently. So those plants will need to be moved as it will be too sunny.
There are a few house plants I’d like to add but they’re more unusual so I may need to go to the nursery for them.
Having been a minimalist for 5 years now, I’m only recently adding plants to my decor. I think after we painted the whole house( except my daughter’s room) Simply White by Benjamin Moore, the green really makes the room pop.
I’d highly recommend house plants to your minimal decor for a number of reasons. The best is that they purify the air. Plus, they really add a wonderful dimension to a room.
Dinner is a mushroom frittata with goat cheese and roasted potatoes.
- I think I overdid the gym last week and so this week my ankle has been giving me some trouble and then I had a bad cramp in my hamstring so now I’m hobbling from that pull. It seems better today and I know, from experience, this too shall pass. In the meantime, I only walked a mile this morning and very slow at that. Hopefully, it’ll be better for Santa Barbara next week. I love walking on the beach trail right by the ocean. The weather looks nice but not as warm as I was hoping for.
- Late next week I go for my 6-week labs. There’s always a little anxiety. I think once a cancer patient, going for labs or any tests just brings up past emotions. I am way better than when I first was diagnosed and would have meltdowns. Now I just think about it some and don’t dwell on it. I’m sure, if I was back in the thick of treatment, it’d be different.
- Finished out taxes with Turbo tax and surprisingly we’re getting a small refund. I would have been happy to break even but those Goodwill etc donations do add up.
- Finished paying for my son’s full time semester at CSU Sacramento. We put it on a card to get the reward points. I’ll pay it off next month. He’s doing very well and started a new paid internship. Traveling to Sac State is costing him quite a bit more in gas and food so his money is going there.
- Made a new recipe from one of the cookbooks I bought for a dollar. It is Cooks Illustrated best Skillet recipes. This one was pasta with peas and prosciutto. I had one last pack of prosciutto in the freezer that B got as a sample. You don’t cook the pasta first but do it in the skillet. My son LOVED it and requested it as a rotating dish.
So today I’m going to the gym and just do some upper body weights and then to Tractor Supply store as last week I saw a T-shirt I liked that was inexpensive and made in Viet Nam so hopefully isn’t made in a bad factory.
I don’t need anything from the store so that’s nice.
Dinner is homemade pizza!!
I’ve got a terrific starter going that I made in the fall. It has been really useful and flavorful.
I’ve made pancakes and two days ago started on bread. I make the bread using the ‘Tartine’ bread book.
It’s really an easy recipe ONCE you get past the scientific stuff. But it does take making the leaven,then the autolyse, then the first rise, and then the final rise in the refrigerator. Then you can bake the next day. I use Banneton bread proofing basket.
It gives a nice pattern to the bread and holds it in shape too.
The flour lines are from the proofing basket..
I’ve been making bread for over 40 years off and on. I started with the Tassajara bread book and Laurels kitchen. Most of my loaves back then were heavy and more like bricks. But we ate them anyway(most of the time).
Breadmaking is an art form, for sure. But the real trick is to just keep trying and making lots of bread because you do start to get a feel for the bread. I make a number of different breads. This is the sourdough but I also make a sandwich bread in a loaf pan. I start that using the Kitchen Aid and then let rise in the bowl. Then bake in a Williams Sonoma professional loaf pan.
One thing I’ve learned is to get the best equipment you can afford and get the right tool for what you’re making. It really does make a world of difference.
A brisk day with a north wind. Chilly but sunny.
We had a lovely walk this morning. It was nice to walk together.
I went to town and dropped another GoodWill load of the things I’d gathered from doing the minimalist game. Then I went to drop off food pantry stuff at our credit union that had a barrel out for our local food bank. It was a hefty bag of stuff that I gleaned from my own pantry. I’m trying to have only enough in our pantry that we use regularly. I guess if the apocalypse happens we’ll just have to make do. We do keep emergency water and some canned goods in the barn but it’s not in my regular rotation.
Then I went to Target to get some colored twinkly lights and there was not a one. But I picked up a candle, a white basket to hold some pantry goods, cat food(of course) and something else? Oh, there was a little artificial plant (tiny) in a white pot 1/2 off so it was $ 2.50. I put it in the bathroom as real plants have a hard time in there during the winter as it’s pretty cold.
So, home again and putting together my sisters christmas box of goodies to send. Then I put a gift bag together for our garbage guy. A target gift card and a bottle of maple syrup. Next up is our UPS guy. Proabaly another Starbucks gift card. That’s it. Oh, B picked up the GC for my brother at Tractor supply.
Dinner is a potato kugel and a cornish hen and a kale salad. My daughter said she’d cook. Yay!!! The potato kugel is from Smitten Kitchen so undoubtedly, good.
I’m am so excited for my new lab results. They are great and went down. Ratio excellent.
A wonderful early Christmas present to me.
Another bird picture by my daughter. A woodpecker.
dinner is crockpot pintos.
Here was last nights dinner
Sauteed rainbow chard and rice.
Grateful to be able to go the farmers market and buy my beautiful veggies for a week or two. I got rainbow chard, 2 types of lettuce, radishes, local mandarins, red onions, mustard greens, leeks, broccoli and a chunk of local cheese from Petaluma.
I have 10 meals planned.
Stir- fry with some veggies
Broccoli cheese soup
Potato leek soup
Turkey and wild rice soup (tonight)
roast chicken with rice and salad
breakfast for dinner
It’s a chilly damp day.