We have been under storm watch for days and days. I 80 is still closed and has been for over 24 hours. It takes a lot to close this main pass in the Sierras. The rain was nonstop yesterday and came down in torrents at times. There also was the wind but I think we escaped the worst of it. It’s still raining off and on. I’m really sick of this and hope it passes soon and we get to dry out. There’s flooding all over the place in the foothills and Sacramento Valley.
Not doing too much different. Reading and tidying some. I’ve added a new page at the top of my blog for books in 2017 if you’re looking for something to read.
It’s still very depressing that in 9 days Trump will be president. His tweeting is ridiculous behavior for a president. I mean, what is he like 14?? Plus he’s always saying something negative or untrue in his tweets. he says he never mocked the disabled reporter, but there it is recorded for all to see. Yet, he still is in denial. Whoa, that is pretty scary stuff.
Well, I hope something gets better politically. Just think of all the people especially like us with cancer( preexisting condition) and what that means for health insurance. That is very scary. Plus the GOP has no replacement. I don’t care what anyone says the ACA has helped millions of people get affordable health care. With the subsidies and credits, it is helping the people who need it the most. If someone’s premiums have gone up, maybe it has to do with income bracket. I don’t really know. I’d be curious to know what are the income parameters.
Anyway, it’s all kinda depressing so I’m going to go read a book.
I’m trying a new recipe of Jambalaya. I’ve never made it so I have some shrimp to use and cooked rice. I don’t have the andouille sausage, but do have some Adele’s chicken sausage so… I’m going to give it a try. I’ll make the rice with peppers etc first so the veggie can have that and then add the shrimp and sausage later. I’ll let you know…..
Yesterday, we made some bread and butter pickles. These are from our garden. S is a great gardener. She has plants all over. we bought those cool vintage style ball jars. Love that color.
Home blessing day is done( Flylady Mondays !)
im heading out to staples to get some binders for the picture reorganizing. I hope they have the slips. On line it said online only. I have coupons to use so hopefully it won’t cost me anything.I’m faxing off my LLS insurance stuff. I’ll get the reimbursement in a month or so. Sometimes it’s sooner. It’ll help as I’m behind on my 52 week savings. I’m doing great with my $5 challenge. If you’re interested, it’s just when ever you have $5 bill you save it and not spend it . I’m up to $200. It’s fun and easy.
Menus for the week:
- Sunday: roast chicken, potatoes, grilled tofu , and delicious broccoli from the garden
- monday : chicken tacos or chicken salad, not sure yet!
- Tuesday:pasta night
- Wednesday: Cobb salad
- Thursday: spinach lasagna
- Friday: pizza or Tacos
- Saturday: Sammies of some sort.
Sunday night chit chat w/ out Carla
Finished a “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” , I loved this as a kid and still love it as an adult.
now I’m reading Evanovich’s new book” Big Girl Panties” , not impressed.
Listening to our chickens
Looking forward to getting my oncology appt over with.
Grateful to be doing all the decluttering and getting rid off stuff while I still feel good.
- Reading:reread “The Samurai’s Garden” this is a beautifully written and poetic book. I’m also rereading “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” by Betty Smith, this book shaped my childhood tremendously. First,I was born in the Bronx, this about Brooklyn , we were very poor. White trash poor, polish immigrants. Lots of similarities. I felt like I was Francie.
- unfortunately, when I wrote a book report in 10 th grade on this book , and used the tree of heaven as a simile for hope, that it grew in the worst conditions, etc, my English teacher gave me a D because he thought I didn’t get the whole part about Johnny’s alcoholism. Really, I knew all too well,as the author was describing MY father. But I chose to write about hope and reading and the library. I remember being crushed by that remark. Fortunately, it did not stop me from hoping or reading!
- Listening to , just the sounds of the night ,as it is still so hot, we are sitting outside at 10 pm.
- Watching: we finished Season 1 of the sopranos, for the second time. Such a great show. James Gandolfini was brilliant
- Cooking/Baking: used my new Williams Sonoma pans, made 2 loaves of bread. One was a cheese olive loaf. It is gone already. The. I made organic strawberry jam.
- Happy you accomplished this week, Walked everyday and decluttered more old school artwork.
- Looking forward to next week: it’s the 4 of July, onto doing much. I’m going to paint an armoire. I’ll try and post pictures .
- Thankful for today: for my wonderful children and husband.
- Bonus Question – What was your very first *real* job? Well, I did a lot of babysitting. But at 16, I got a job as a receptionist.
Menu for the week:
Sunday: Greek pasta salad
monday: chicken burgers, tofu burgers, potatoe salad
Tuesday: grilled chicken, salad
Wednesday: Caprese salad. And pasta with lemon,garlic olive oil
Thursday, fourth of Jullyy : BBQ ribs from the freezer, maybe potato salad or cole slaw
Friday: pizza or tacos
Satuday: Saturday night Sammie’s , not yet decided.
B is back to work today, if I can post the tree he cut I will.
These are some cactus flowers. We have a small cacti garden, and it’s fun when they bloom. They only bloom a few days.
We are STILL waiting. And tomorrow we leave for Tahoe, so if its not fixed today it won’t be till late next week!
Waiting for my blood tests to come back…….waiting, always a little nervous…. Has my m-protein gone up, bad, or down, good!
its been very slow at the library…..thats my desk!
so you an see not busy today….
oh, I should add this is on my BREAK!
- Reading? The new Jack Reacher”A Wanted Man” , very good.
- Listening to? We were listening to the wind.
- Watching?later, Castle.
- Cooking/Baking? Made the stuffed shells ,from the freezer cookbook, a big salad with blue cheese dressing.
- Happy you accomplished this week?alot with my new freezer cookbook.
- Looking forward to next week? I have next Saturday off, so I’ll go to the farmers market!
- Thankful for today? My 2 great kids, my cancer is stable, and my husband.
- *Bonus Question* Do you like your name? Would you change it if you could?
- I’ve always liked Anne or Annie.