It’s been a good week overall. I’m happy with the reorganizing and decluttering I did.
- Ate our meals at home and shopped at Grocery Outlet for things to get us through till I shop Costco next week.
- I’m trying to do only 2 very small loads of laundry a day,( white and dark). Although that may not seem frugal, it’s frugal with my time as I keep up on it and it’s not huge loads.
- Read 4 books this week free from Netgalley. They’re e- books but fun. Most were cookbooks but one was a self-help called 30 days to Joy ( or something like that). What I liked about it was her take on just do what brings you joy. I thought that was very simple and yet we need to read or hear that.
- We want to update our kitchen someday( when we have money) Ha….. Ha… but in the meanwhile, I decided to paint the cabinets again so at least they look better. So, instead of groaning we can’t afford to remodel, I bought a high gloss white paint and voila! It’ll do for now.
- All the bills are in for the month and budget done. Unfortunately, we will have a very expensive auto repair on my son’s Subaru. He needed the head gaskets done to the tune of $2500. Plus an accelerator problem. We offered to put it on our CC so he at least has a car. The other option was to sell it as is but then he wouldn’t have a car. So it’s cheaper to fix a car than buy a new used car. So, that won’t be frugal to charge it but it will be cheaper in the long run as hisSubaru will run for a good long while.
Tomorrow we’re going to Home Depot to get the boards for the last garden bed. I budgeted a small amount for this since it’s now or not plant. In the long run, it’ll be frugal when we have lettuce, etc.
Tonight is Friday night Pizza!
We went to Costco yesterday and got a ton of stuff. A fire extinguisher we needed, some organic sheets ( yeah.. they were 29.95), lots of food stuff, coffee. I also went to the customer service desk and got a refund on the stuff that my husband bought 3 days before the coupon book came out. I didn’t know they did that. I was pretty impressed. I won’t need to go to Costco for a month at least. Unless I decide to go get veggies and fruit there.
It also wasn’t raining and that was a big plus. After putting the load away, I made us a brunch of scrambled eggs( our own) and avocado, tomatoes and cheese. Pretty tasty.
This has been a gloomy week with lots of rain and it looks like more is heading in today. Although right now its okay out, no rain. On Wednesday we head to Santa Barbara. B is working the co-ops and I’m going along since work pays for it all. We will pay for my portions of food but hotel and gas are covered. I’m looking forward to it. I love SB, even though I wouldn’t want to live there. It’s somewhat locked in by mountains and of course ridiculously expensive. But it’s great to visit and I love the beach trail. Since we’ve been there before we know a couple of great places to eat, plus there’s Trader Joes and Whole foods just to get some snacks and lunch stuff.
Our budget plans are going very well. Paying off the last bit on a CC is going very well. Actually, I way ahead of my schedule. But that may change or slow down since in the next month we need to get wood for the new garden beds and a truck- load of soil. So that will be an extra expense. But the garden gives us food and freezer stuff to so it’s a win.
I did a bunch of paperwork stuff this week. I needed to reapply for my LLS grant which covers my health insurance and copays to the doctor. Nothing diagnostic but it does help. Then I had to update my son’s FAFSA because he plans to go to San Francisco State university in the fall as a senior. I would like to see him get a grant for housing and tuition but we’ll see. They now do the year before ( 2015) and that was the year B sold stock so we had a larger gross amount. So that may impact it. I’m not sure if I could have done 2016 as that was substantially less. But it said taxes from 2015.
Today is a gym day and then I’m going to roast a chicken with a new recipe from William Sonoma that calls for oranges and red onion. Sounds good.
On our walk this morning it was 37. Yesterday 36. It is very cold and frosty. Plus our day time temperatures are not even getting into the 60’s. It looks like it’s going to stay like this for a few weeks. usually we bounce back up into the 60’s so it isn’t quite as cold. But I checked our PGE last year and it was cold enough that our bill was very high. This year I havent turned on the ENVI heaters and our bill was half of last years. So even though those heaters are convection and suppose to not use alot of electricity our electric bills for Nov, DEc, Jan and Feb, were pretty ginormous. For such a small house it doesnt make sense. So this year I’m not going to turn them on and go back to a small space hater and see what the bill is for Dec. Not exciting, but day to day stuff.
The budget is set for December and looks ok. I did book 3 camping times at NEw Brighton so I put those on a CC. I’ll need to budget in paying that off. We’ll probably cancel one as its close to the one really wanted with the ocean view. But I had booked the other before just in case.
I’m not doing alot on the Christmas front. Both trees are up and decorated. For Christmas dinner I think I’m doing enchiladas, beans ,salad and some sort of desert. We’re not big desert eaters so I might get like cheese cake sampler from Safeway( 2 pieces). I’ve stuck with only buying a few gifts so that’ll be different. It’s good though ,all part of just minimising it all. I dont think I could do the no decorating or no gifts at all but who knows. If anything I’ve learned never say never. Because you just dont know what’s around the corner.
Today I’m just home tidying and catching up some laundry. Tomorrow I’m going to the gym and then drop off some thrift store stuff unless I get motivated to go today.
Dinner is Tortilla soup with chicken for us and just black beans for the veggie.
Well, really, a new budget is needed since the old one is completely blown. Today, I’m going to write up new numbers and see how they stack up. June should be a better month for a number of reasons. 1. B will get a bonus and that will get us back on track. 2. We’re not going to give my son any school money, as he’s done for this semester. Also, he’s going back to his old job, so this will definitely help. 3. At least one of our bills has been reduced by $125. so that’s helpful. 4. We are going with a HARP refi and that will reduce our payment. This hasn’t happened yet but I hope by July 1.
We are still working on paying off the Federal taxes that we put on the cc but it still will be a few months. The only extra this month is our AAA membership. So, we should be able to snowball money in the CC. We’ll see. It seems it’s always something.
Today I go get my blood tests. I should know by Thursday what my numbers are. So I’m going in to do that , then pick up a few groceries(cat food)….. Plus I might drop off the Goodwill stuff, just to get it out of the car.
Dinner tonight is pasta with sauce and salad. I’m making a bolognese sauce in the crockpot.
This week I’m in the bedroom zone. I’ll probably tackle the closet as that seems to be my nemesis.
I’m working the afternoon shift, which usually doesn’t work for me as I like to lay down @ 3pm. But, it’s ok to mix it up once in a while. We’re having a BBQ tonight. I think turkey burgers. I might or might not make a side. A salad?
our weather is suppose to be warm this week and it should be really nice.
Still working on May ‘s budget, and I’m going to set up a strict budget for my son who thinks money grows in trees. He does work at Kmart and is full time in school, but he still just piddle so away money on lots of little things. So this month I’m going to help him really plan a budget for eating out, fun $ ,gas, his rent to us and whatever else I can think of.
Our budget is tight as we have had all those extra bills ,but I think my main goal is to get our zero balance in the checking up. It’s a cushion we need. I may go back and use my YNAB , but usually I’m a paper and pencil budgeter. (Is that a word?).
So off for the day, hope it’s a good one too!
So this last week I’ve had 3 blood draws. My regular monthly, a tobacco one for our health insurance, and a fasting lipid for cholesterol.
Geez, is it over? then I still need to see my GP for the wellness exam. What a PITA. as, I’ve said , I don’t like to be over scheduled.
its still rainy, cloudy here and it’s getting to me . It’s not cold at least but still I need some sunshine.
Our budget is totally shot, as my husbands maybe bonus didn’t come in and now were way off in the money department. I swear, it’s always 3 steps forward, 4 steps back…:(
so, I need to transfer from the little savings I’ve been doing just to cover the first of the month.ugh,!!
Heres my may goals:
My goals for may will be
* put $500 back in sinking funds ,that were used for birthday, car tags, and spring household stuff. well, I did and then used it again. Actually we’ve dropped our 0 balance to $700, not good, but hopefully we can play catch up.
*go away with B on a work trip to Tahoe! Yes, it was great fun!
*my daughters 28 birthday is may 29! Wow it seems like yesterday! We had a nice birthday, with cherry pie and ice cream. Dinner was chicken curry.
*with my new freezer , work on stockpiling concept, so I spend less on food. I love my new freezer, food came in @ $700 so I ok with that.
* walk 5x per week . Not quite but did pretty well.
*get my life magazines down to 6 bins of keepers, even that is too much , but it’s a place to work toward. Unfortunately, the ones left, that I don’t want really don’t sell, so I’ve been giving them to goodwill. I just finished yesterday, got it done to 10 bins, but 1/2 of those are smaller ones. The rest are in my van waiting to go to goodwill. I hate to see them go, but these just dont sell.
* emotionally , handle what my blood work comes back as. Right now, my blood work is all normal except for the serum protein which , is at .34. Still very low but it is dectable. I’ll know next week what it is. Then I don t see my doctor till middle of June since he’s on vacation, so I will enjoy that time . I did ok, my protein came back higher and I didn’t freak. It’s .4
Im ok with it , so will wait for this months, even if it’s up it would be at least another month to track the pattern. It sucks, but so does cancer.
I’m sure there more,but I’ll leave it at that.
Overall, I have done a lot, for me. Even painted an old cabinet white.
- Keep walking, I’ll leave it at that
- our camping trip to Tahoe is the end of the month! Get food ready!
- Organize getting the house ready to paint.
- look into opening an ING account for savings. It seems to help budgets to have some money separate. We don’t have a lot of money,but Ilike the idea.
- Make at least six more freezer meals. Something’s have worked well, others not so much. So it’s a learning process. I’m waiting for the organic chicken I use to go on sale, and stock up.
- see my oncologist in the middle of the month, just be ok! I do think I’m going to have to go back on drugs, but I don’t think it will be till August.,as we’ll need to see the next 2 months of m- protein results.
- read another biography, and 1 non ffictions.
- work on my blog, and add pictures!